Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Rejoicing and mourning

 

I am loving seeing so many Back To School photos on Facebook at the moment.

I don’t have one to share. I have a school-aged son, but he doesn’t go to school. For me, the start of a new term is the resumption of a daily round of leaving a message on an answer-machine notifying the school that he is not in, again, today. Last term, he managed three days. We’ll see how we go this term. It is heart-breaking. Please refrain from offering advice, thank you.

For others, these photos are painful reminders of the children they hoped for but never had; or of a child who should be returning to school but who has died. For some, the best thing to do is to disappear from Facebook for a week or two, until it passes. Be gentle on yourself.

For me, I choose to rejoice with those who rejoice, and mourn with those who mourn, to the best of my ability, knowing that one does not cancel out the other but that the joys and sorrows of life coexist.

It is that time of year again. However that finds you, be blessed today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment