Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Advent 2023: Day 10

 


Image: a railway platform with the words MIND THE GAP painted for the benefit of those alighting from the train, so that the letters are upside-down from the perspective of those waiting to board the train.

 

Now is the season for journeys home by train
(it has been too long)
‘Tickets, please.’
I lean and push hand deep in pocket,
pull out my phone, as if
I were magician, pulling flowers and
rabbits from a hat: ta-da!
Once, I would purchase paper tickets
from a booth, another human, behind glass,
as in a zoo; now,
only digital traces track me as I flee
from screen to window seat to screen,
and ‘Tickets, please.’
and I glance off each other,
sleight of hand.

 

Passengers a-lighting,
please mind the gap
between the polished surface
and our common substance.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment