Monday, November 30, 2020

Advent day 2 (2020)

 


 

People of God: awake!

The day is coming soon

when you shall see God face to face.

Remember the ways and the works of God.

God calls you out of darkness

to walk in the light of his coming.

You are God’s children.

Lord, make us one as we walk with Christ

today and for ever.

Amen.

 

Some mornings I resist. Why would I want to get out from under the duvet, where it is cosy and warm? Why should I get up, while my wife stays here in bed? Like you, I’m not one of the bad guys; my selfishness is very much of the common-or-garden variety. Even so.

Every now and then, I step outside, close the front door behind me, and watch the dawn. Sometimes the sunrise is spectacular, cerise sky turning to honey gold before giving way to palest blue, a brief but glorious bonus for those who made the effort to rise early. Other days, like today, the dawn comes in more muted mood, in indigo that lightens by the second. Sometimes it takes incredible, fleeting beauty to bring me to my senses. Sometimes it takes faithful determination, steadfast love. Morning by morning, God comes calling for me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment