Wednesday, March 16, 2016

What disciplines reveal

This week I was struck by something a friend, Scott, wrote on Facebook. It has stayed with me ever since, has really got under my skin. He wrote:

“Your disciplines reveal to whom/what you are a disciple.

Your disciplines reveal to whom/what you are a disciple.

If it is my discipline – my prioritised, habitual, life-shaping practice – to go out every pay day and buy something that I do not need just because it is new – I am not speaking here of the very real need of many to shop for necessities or pay bills on pay day – then I am a disciple of the advertising industry.

If it is my discipline to replace my iPhone – and again, this is a hypothetical example – every time a new version is released, then I am a disciple of Apple.

If it is my discipline to read only one particular newspaper, of whatever persuasion, and to accept everything I read in it to be true, then I am a disciple of the media mogul who owns that paper.

If it is my discipline to watch a particular tv soap, religiously, then I am a disciple of the script-writer.

Disciplines are not necessarily unpleasant at the time – though they demand something, of time or money or effort. Disciplines can be comforting, providing structure within which life can be enjoyed; can be enjoyable.

What are the disciplines of your life?

Whom/what do they reveal you to be a disciple of?

No comments:

Post a Comment