Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Developing Leaders : Part 3

Lifeshapes is a language of discipleship, which enables us to be led and to lead others. In these posts [which assume familiarity with Lifeshapes] I want to reflect on their application in leadership development – taking people on from being able to take responsibility for themselves, to leading others, to leading leaders. In particular, I want to ask the questions:

Which shape is primary at each stage?


What character issues and skills issues need to be addressed at each stage (building on the previous stage)?


These reflections are very much a work in progress! Feed-back welcome.


Becoming a leader of leaders of small groups of people, within the context of a mid-sized group (e.g. cluster, children’s groups team)

Primary shape: the square – defining the priorities of life

Character issues: am I willing to go through each stage myself (birth of vision; death of vision; resurrection multiplication of vision; handing-on of vision to others)? am I willing to lead others through each stage? where do I tend to retreat, or stall, and am I addressing why?

Skills issues: do I lead others through L1/D1, L2/D2, L3/D3, and L4/D4? how do I compensate for my weakness? do I find it easy to multiply groups?


Secondary shape: the pentagon – knowing your role in life

Character issues: can I work with others who have a different role and God-given personality? how are my relationships?

Skills issues: am I able to identify my role, as apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor or teacher? how are my weaknesses compensated by the strengths of others? am I able to help others begin to identify their role?

No comments:

Post a Comment