Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Vulnerable Adults, Part 2


The ironic tragedy of Judas’ part in Holy Week is that he makes himself vulnerable to being taken advantage of by satan by having first taken advantage of his friends. One betrayal compromises him into making another, and the abuser – in this case financial abuse, stealing from the common purse – becomes the abused. But there is no justice in this table-turning: it still leaves a victim, instead of resulting in reconciled relationships. By removing himself from the group – by staking a claim for independence and invulnerability – Judas becomes increasingly vulnerable.


The more I deny my vulnerability; the more I seek to hide it; the better I become at presenting myself as fully able and independent; the more Vulnerable to abuse I become…


,

No comments:

Post a Comment