Saturday, November 25, 2023

HumanKind

 

On Monday, I went into a shop, picked up what I needed, and approached the till. The sales assistant asked me if I had found everything I had been looking for? which I had. I asked them, How are you today? and they were clearly taken aback. Good, thanks; they replied, and then, after a slightest of pauses, But thank you for asking.

I spent the middle of the week at a residential training event, held at a hotel. One morning, as I walked along the corridor from my room, heading down for breakfast, I passed a member of the housekeeping team. They said, Good morning, and I responded. Again, I asked, How are you today? Again, they were taken aback that a guest would interact with them in such a way.

On the last morning of the residential, I went to the administrator who had put together the training event to thank them. They had had a difficult job, needing to deal with several challenges. I wanted them to know that their work was appreciated, that they were appreciated. They just about fought back the tears, and asked if they could give me a hug.

Most of the time, it costs very little to be kind. Perhaps that is why we value it less than we ought? Of course, there are times when it is costly, even a higher price than we are prepared to pay. But there are few things that have such a disproportionally large impact, and return, that return potentially having a positive impact on whoever happens to come across the person shown kindness in the wake of the act.

If you can, be kind. And when being kind is a stretch too far, may you be on the receiving end of kindness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment