Saturday, November 30, 2019

Almost Advent


Tomorrow is the start of Advent. For many years, I’ve posted a daily photo and/or reflection throughout Advent. This year, I don’t know what I am going to do, yet.

Perhaps it is because we block certain memories, but I’m more aware of more of those I care about struggling right now than I recall in a long time. Putting their heads down, and just about getting through each day. Or perhaps this is part of a bigger trend?

The Season of Advent is all about acknowledging that the world is not as we long for it to be, and yet supporting one another to hold on to hope and not sink under despair. In other words, this Advent comes (as, perhaps, it always comes) at just the right time.

Perhaps I might riff on these things this year.

One of the traditional ways of engaging with the four weeks of Advent is to reflect on death, judgement, heaven, and hell. That might be out-of-step with commercial Christmas, but, then again, rediscovering these themes might just be the antidote we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment