Wednesday, November 09, 2016

On this day

I do not believe in a controlling God, in a God who is ‘in control.’

I do not believe that the rise and fall of leaders of nations reflects God’s will in any simplistic sense – whoever rises, or falls.

But I do believe in a sovereign God, whom, scripture reveals, regularly faces chaos and rebellion, and habitually brings light out of darkness, life out of death, order out of disaster, freedom out of tyranny.

According to this Story, the promise that God will do these things is not based on present circumstances, but on God’s ‘hesed’ or ‘steadfast love,’ faithfulness, and covenant commitment to humanity.

Nothing that has happened on this day in history changes this Story, to which I choose to seek to align my story.

Peace be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment