Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Tipping Point

I am re-reading Malcolm Gladwell’s ‘The Tipping Point: how little things can make a big difference’ at the moment. It is a fascinating book that explores why some ideas or trends take off and spread like wildfire, while others have hardly any impact at all…a book which itself took off and spread like wildfire…

And I’m asking, what does it take to see certain ideas, certain values, transform a community, a nation even? I’m asking, as someone who dares to hope in the kingdom of God breaking into a society that looks pretty bleak right now – a society where most of the indexes it uses to measure deprivation would appear to be on the increase at present. I’m asking as someone who believes that it is the Holy Spirit, hovering over chaos, who brings about change; who doesn’t believe that change will come if and when the church gets its strategy or techniques right…but at the same time, as someone who believes that God gives insight as we look at the world and ask him to make sense of what we see.

I’m re-reading ‘The Tipping Point,’ and I might post some of my reflections here over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment