Thursday, September 18, 2008

Authority | 2

That slave who knew what his master wanted, but did not prepare himself to do what was wanted, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know and did what deserved a beating will receive a light beating. From everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from the one to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded.
Luke 12:47, 48

…Peter said, “I have no silver or gold, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk.”
Acts 3:6

What are we to do with the authority we have been given, in the arena for which we have been given it? We are not slaves, but friends who serve; but, we are to learn from the slave parables.

Peter had been given power and authority to heal: “what I have.” It came from Jesus, and it had been given to him. What was he going to do with it? Exercise it: “what I have I give you…” He had the freedom to not exercise it, to bury it away somewhere safe, to not risk investing it (to reference another parable Jesus told).

If much is required from those to whom much has been given, I can’t think of anything more we could be entrusted with than Jesus’ power and authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment