Monday, July 30, 2007

Do-Be-Doh!

Last night as I was going to bed, it struck me that there was nothing I had to do tomorrow (that is, today).

I didn’t have to take my daughter to school. I didn’t have to take my son to nursery. I didn’t have to go to work. There was nothing I had to do. And I couldn’t remember the last day I had like that. Days off, and holidays, don’t count: there are always things that have to be done on days off, or on holiday.

Such days are rare, but vitally important. Such days remind us – confront us with the reality – that being is more fundamental than doing.

Because when what we do flows out of knowing, really knowing, who we truly are – dearly loved children of God – then how we do what we do contributes to God’s life-affirming order becoming established where it was not before.

But when our understanding of who we are, our identity, derives from what we do – and how that compares with what other people do – then how we be who we be contributes to the meaning-less chaos becoming established where it was not before.


, ,

No comments:

Post a Comment