Thursday, July 14, 2005

Scent Trails

It is hot again today. I had just crossed the main road at the end of our street, on my way in to work, when I stepped into the slip-stream of a woman walking in front of me. Her perfume wafted along behind her, and it smelled good. After several paces, I overtook her - and stepped into another slip-stream, this time of a man. His after-shave also smelled good. By 8:30am the air was hot enough to carry these delicate scents, and not yet hot enough for them to have been drowned out by sweat turning stale!

At the risk of being considered some kind of freaky scent-Stalker, or of receiving comments concerning how I might smell (no-one smells at their best on a hot day, thank you), I share this story because these chance encounters prompted me to meditate/pray, for the duration of my walk to work, that I might carry the fragrant aroma of Jesus with me all through this day; that I might bring that smell into the lives of everyone I meet today...

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?"
St Paul, writing to the church in Corinth, 2 Corinthians 2:14-16

1 comment:

  1. you are a freaky scent-stalker of no discernible smell

    ReplyDelete