Friday, February 18, 2005

Moving Forward, Moving Backward

I just popped round the corner to the Co-op, to pick up some eggs to scramble for lunch. I like the Co-op; it has a strange forwards/backwards dynamic. Their products are very forward-looking - lots of organic and fair-trade stuff. And yet, their piped music is very backward-looking - always a journey back to my teens, reminiscent of Brat Pack movies like The Breakfast Club and St Elmo's Fire that we used to watch at youth group video nights, and not mind because the girls liked watching the films and the guys liked watching films with the girls (and secretly liked [at least some of] the films too, but were too cool to admit it)...The soundtrack to my buying six large organic free-range eggs today was "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds. Slightly surreal.

When I got home, Jo made Noah show me what he had done. Which was, draw on his face and hands with a thick red felt-tip pen. If you're young/old enough to be familiar with David Bowie on the front cover of his Aladdin Sane album, picture that and you're there...

No comments:

Post a Comment